Here's Our Public Stargazing Schedule for 2019
|August||Saturday 24th at the Carp Public Library / Diefenbunker
** Backup: Friday August 30
|September||Saturday 21st at the Carp Public Library / Diefenbunker|
|Saturday 28th at AstroPontiac in Luskville
* Note that Luskville is on the Quebec side, about 8 minutes farther from downtown Ottawa than Carp.
Saturday 5th at the Canadian Aviation and Space Museum
Friday 18th at Carp Public Library / Diefenbunker
How to read this table
Please note that these are our planned dates for the year, but could change to weather or conflicting events.
What's public stargazing?
- At stargazing events (also called star parties), our members set up their telescopes and share their passion of the night sky by inviting the public to look through their telescopes. Our star parties are held in the parking lot of the Carp Branch of the Ottawa Public library (scroll down for map, location).
- All star parties are free. They are wonderful family-friendly events and well-suited for people who wish to know more about the night sky. We do not sell or promote anything except our love of the night sky!
- You do not have to bring a telescope to attend. If you have binoculars, bring them with you. Otherwise, just bring yourself!
- All star parties are weather permitting. If the sky is cloudy, we will cancel an event. Sometimes, because of unpredictable weather, we might have to cancel a star party with only a few hours notice. Before travelling to the star party please check the Twitter feed on the home page for the latest Go/No-Go status.
Don't know what to expect? We've thought of that! Check out our Handy Guide for Stargazing Visitors.
Public observing — start and end times
Public observing starts at sunset on every scheduled evening and will continue, weather permitting, until 12:30 AM. You are also welcome to arrive after sunset and leave sooner than 12:30 AM.
People with telescopes are welcome to arrive 90 minutes before sunset to set up equipment. All equipment must be removed from the observing site by 1 AM at the latest.
Location and Directions
We set up our telescopes in the parking lot of the Carp Branch of the Ottawa Public Library. This is adjacent to the famous Diefenbunker Museum.
The Carp Library is at 3911 Carp Road, Carp ON. Here's a link to a Google map for the site.